G'day followers! To pay homage to this hospitable land that is Australia today we talk about pies. I am not sure who exactly decided it but it seems that the best pie in the world is a few km from Sydney. I went there for the Queen's B'day weekend and I tried two of their amazing pies. Well, I don't know whether they are the best in the world but I can tell you they are fabulous!
If you happen to pass by Berry and you are willing to do a deviation through outstanding views then I suggest you to drive to Barrengarry and stop for a delicious pie.
The first reference to "pyes" as dish appeared in the 12th century in England. However, it seams that the origins of pies date back to the ancient Egyptians during the New Stone Age. Egyptians liked to eat sweet pies in the form of gallettes wrapping honey for dessert. We have evidence of this from the pictures found on the tomb wall of the Pharaoh Ramesses II.Ancient Greek then learnt how to combine flour and water to make pastry that was used to wrap cooked meet and Romans added salt and spices to flavouring and preserve their meet.
In the Middle Ages the access to ovens was restricted by their costs of construction so that pies were cooked over an open fire. The medieval cookbooks focus more on the filling over the surrounding casing because thanks to the development of reusable earthenware pie cases the use of expensive flour was redused.. In 1429, in occasion of the coronation of eight-year old King Henry VI a peacock pie was served. Apparently cooked birds were often placed on top of large pies at that time until in pre-Victorian times were replaced by a porcelain bird used to release the steam.
The pies were then brought to America by the Pilgrim fathers who used berries and fruits from the New World.Today, pies are found of different kinds and are very popular not only in UK and US but also in South Africa, New Zealand and of course Australia.
I suggest you to check out this article here about "The Seven Best Pies in Sydney" in case you are now feeling a bit peckish!
No comments:
Post a Comment